20 June 2013

Right on time - Getting the timing right (Is there a perfect time to pitch?)

‘Thank you for sending me your wonderful article,’ read the editor’s reply. I smiled. ‘I would have accepted it but...’ I frowned. This did not bode well. ‘...but in the next issue we are publishing a similar article. So I am sorry but I cannot use your piece – bad timing!’ Damn. I swallowed my disappointment and got to work with my next story. But two weeks later when the same thing happened again (‘We just did a pretty major feature on this in our June issue, hard luck!’), and yet again (‘We have covered similar themes in the not-too-distant past, I’m afraid’), I was really upset. Three commissions...

Read the full article in the June 2013 post of AWP Career Advice

or

Request to read the original article via email for just 99p! (T&C apply)




2625 words
Nonfiction/Writing

US publication

***********************

Words from the Wise


"I like it"
Jonathan Telfer
Editor
Writing Magazine

"Thank you very much for sending your work to us...I think your article contains plenty of things that our members would really love to read...it is a well written piece as is. Thank you once more for bringing your article to us--we will be very pleased to share it with our members (who will be very pleased to read it)."
Daniel D'Angelo
Associate Editor
Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP)

No comments:

Post a Comment